Collection Management Committee Meeting: October 31, 2017

Conference Call/Adobe Connect

Members attending: Deb Blecic, co-chair (University of Illinois at Chicago), Daniel Blewett (College of DuPage), Chad Buckley (Illinois State University), Teri Embrey (Pritzker Military Museum and Library), Connie James-Jenkin (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy), Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago), Michelle Oh (Northeastern Illinois University), Gretchen Schneider, co-chair (Oakton Community College), Kimberly Shotick (Illinois Institute of Technology)

Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage

Staff absent: Jen Masciadrelli

Tasks Assigned

  • Deb Blecic took minutes.
  • Elizabeth will find out who the open access group should talk to about how to get records into the catalog.
  • Deb will schedule meetings for the E-book and One-Time Purchase groups.
  • Elizabeth will contact the staff liaisons for the Resource Sharing Committee about our committee’s discussion on their Annual Project topic.


  • The OA monograph group will start with a small sample group of records that is a “no-brainer” to test the process of getting records into I-Share and local catalogs.  
  • The CMC group is willing to beta-test a survey for the Resource Sharing Committee about using ILL statistics for collection development if they want testers.


  • CARLI Update:
    • An IR Investigative Task Force was created in September.  They are charged with investigating if CARLI should have an IR for members, and what would a consortial IR look like.  They will report back to the Board in March 2018.
    • Open Textbook Network training will occur in April 2018 at three locations across the state.  
    • Brandon Gant is leaving CARLI on December 1, 2017.
  • Member Announcements:
    • The search for a new Dean of the Library is underway at Northeastern Illinois University.
    • Oakton has hired a new Dean of Online Learning.


  • ILA presentation went well, had 22 attendees and good reviews.
    • Kimberly and Niamh will present about the project at ALA Annual in 2018, their proposal was accepted.
  • Collaborative Collection Development Updates:
    • Education: Kimberly contacted the Google group membership to continue project, and will try to recruit new members.  Michelle is identifying new textbook sets to be added to the wish list spreadsheet.
    • E-books: Elizabeth had a phone call with ProQuest about the order-of-use problem which involves which ebook copy will be used first, the consortial copy or the member copy.  ProQuest is still determining if this will be on their development calendar in 2018. For now the consortial copy is used first, and a user needs to refresh their screen to use the member copy (if there is one available).  ProQuest is working on their on screen messaging about refreshing the screen to access a local copy.  Currently they have made two consortial ebooks unlimited users, and Elizabeth has requested a third, while they are working on these issues.  Elizabeth monitors low loans and turnaways to identify problems immediately.
    • OA monographs:  Documentation is being developed for the project, and at ILA Gretchen met people who may want to participate.  Next steps include talking with CARLI and identifying a sample of records to test the process of getting records into I-Share and local catalogs.
    • One-time purchases: No report.
  • The presentation at the CARLI Annual Meeting was discussed and rehearsed, and the slides were reviewed.

Next Meetings

The meeting will be a Conference Call meeting with Adobe Connect
Adobe Connect Meeting, URL to join:
(217) 332-6338, (312) 994-8410, (888) 983-3631
Conference ID: 65857927

November 30, 2017 from 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, December 14, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, January 25, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Thursday, February 22, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Tuesday, March 20, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
Friday, April 27, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
Tuesday, May 22, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.
Friday, June 8, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m.