Collection Management Committee Meeting: September 26, 2016

Conference Call / Adobe Connect

Members attending: Jeffry Archer (University of Chicago), Deborah Blecic (University of Illinois at Chicago), Chris Diaz, co-chair (National-Louis University), Connie James-Jenkin (Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy), Niamh McGuigan (Loyola University Chicago), Stephen McMinn (University of Illinois at Springfield), Gretchen Schneider (Oakton Community College), Kimberly Shotick, co-chair (Northeastern Illinois University)

Members absent: Amelia Brunskill (DePaul University)

Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Jen Masciadrelli


  • CARLI Update – The committee has two new members, Stephen McMinn and Gretchen Schneider.


  • Scholarly Communication Website (Jeffry & Kimberly) – The committee reviewed the suggested edits to the draft changes.
  • Member announcements: what’s going on in your library?  Many members shared that lots of instructions taking place.  3 positions are approved for NEIU.  Interim Dean assigned for Oakton Community College. UIS is starting the ground work for their first comprehensive weeding project.
  • Collaborative Collection Development Pilot projects:
    • Education (Chris and Amelia):
      • They reached out to 8 people, 4 responded to the doodle poll, 1 bowed out of the project, and 1 person has since left their library
      • The group is meeting via Adobe Connect on Wednesday, October 12 from 3 to 4 pm.
    • Health Sciences/Nursing (Deb and Stephen): Kristina left the committee and was leading the project. Stephen will help with this subject area.
    • Literature (Niamh): Niamh will schedule a meeting for October or November.
    • One-time Purchases (Kimberly and Deb):
      • Two individuals responded
    • Notes:
      • From an earlier in-person forum, we learned from YBP that all book buying is on a downward curve.It may follow that lending/ borrowing is likely on the decline due to increase in local eBook purchases.
    • First meetings – what to discuss? How can we encourage participation?
      • Starting point – time frame, commitments
      • Time, money, both, just want to lurk?
  • CARLI Annual Meeting – CMC Presentation – Chris discussed the upcoming conference call for the presenters.  CMC has been assigned to do a presentation.  Jeffry and Deb will be making the presentation.  There will need to be a one page handout for the meeting.


  • Minutes of the August 29, 2016 meeting were approved.

Tasks Assigned

  • Elizabeth will establish a webspace for collaborative collection projects.
  • Kristina and Jeffry will forward their edits to the CARLI Scholarly Communications webpage to Jen and Elizabeth.
  • Jeffry and Deb will be present at the CARLI Annual Meeting on November 19th reporting on last year’s project.
  • Gretchen will review literature on collaborative projects to share with the committee in advance of the planned meetings.
  • Deb will create a one page summary of the options with ebooks for collaboration.Elizabeth and Jen will review.

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

  • Loyola or UIC will be hosting an in-person meeting on Monday, October 17th: 9am – noon.
  • We will hear from them about venue availability.