Collection Management Committee Meeting: August 6, 2015

CARLI Office, Champaign

Members attending: Susan Prokopeak, chair, Joliet Junior College; Christophe Andersen, Columbia College Chicago; Jeffry Archer, University of Chicago; Deborah Blecic, University of Illinois at Chicago (by phone); Chris Diaz, National-Louis University; Sally Gibson, Illinois State University; Jane Hopkins, Greenville College; Kristina Howard, Prairie State College; Niamh McGuigan, Loyola University Chicago

Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage, Jennifer Masciadrelli (by phone), Susan Singleton


  • Minutes will be distributed by email.  If no comments are received by a certain date then the minutes will be considered approved.
  • The committee will meet the 3rd Thursday of the month.  The next in person meeting will be November 19th.


  • Joliet Junior College- the department secretary retired and they have been interviewing for the position, 2 clerks are also leaving
  • Columbia College had 4 retirements, 3 positions were in Reference and they hope to hire 1 of the positions. Harrington is closing at end of month and Columbia College will receive their students and library collection.  60% of Harrington’s collection is unique.
  • Chris Diaz requested a list of textbooks which will be used in the fall semester.  He has acquired ebooks with multi access users for 25% of total list.  He will also be exploring open textbooks.
  • University of Chicago has 2.5 % budget reduction, and hiring freeze. They have started a resident fellowship program as a way to fill positions.  In the future it is possible that general reference positions will be tied to other position and a basic general reference librarian will not exist.  They are relying on other collections more and cooperative collection development.
  • Loyola University Chicago has switched to Alma and the Primo discovery system.
  • Sally Gibson was elected Vice-Chair/Chair-elect to the ALCTS Acquisitions Section.

Tasks Assigned

  • Jen and Elizabeth will send out future meeting dates and the phone number and meeting id for conference calls.
  • Jen and Elizabeth will ask CARLI to share collection data from the member survey with the committee.
  • The Vice-chair of the committee will be elected at the next meeting; members are to consider the position.
  • Begin to develop survey about shared print collections and questions which will help identify the groups of people who would be interested and potential subject areas.
  • The committee will ask colleagues about what would be useful for them to know about other collections.
  • Jeffry will look for cooperative collection development surveys and articles.  He emailed the following links to the group: and

Meeting Dates and Deadlines

Next Meeting: September 17th at 10 am via Conference Call.