Collection Management Committee: July 22, 2013

CARLI Office, Champaign

Members attending: Jeffry Archer, University of Chicago; Hannah Buckland, Eureka College; Chad Buckley, Illinois State University; Kim Fournier, chair, William Rainey Harper College; Pam Hackbart-Dean, Southern Illinois University Carbondale; Jane Hopkins, Greenville College; Nichole Novak, Illinois Institute of Technology; Lynn Wiley, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

Members absent: Susan Prokopeak, Joliet Junior College; Todd Spires, Bradley University

Staff attending: Elizabeth Clarage; Cindy Clennon, Jen Masciadrelli, Susan Singleton


  • Nichole was selected as minute taker.
  • Pam Hackbart-Dean was selected as chair-elect. She will be chair for 2014-2015.
  • The committee conference calls will take place the second Tuesday of every month at 10:00 a.m. depending on the availability of the committee members that are not in attendance.
  • The meeting adjourned at 2:35 p.m.


  • The white paper on the state of academic library collections in Illinois is due to the CARLI Board by May 31, 2014.
  • Elizabeth shared information regarding the various collections related projects that CARLI currently has available including the Five Copy Library Depository, Last Copy Project, and Print Patron Driven Acquisitions Project.
  • Jen shared information regarding Archon, the product that CARLI has available for managing descriptive information for archival materials.
  • The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign has signed a one year contract with EBSCO. They will have a new RFP for a serials vendor soon.
  • The University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign is working on a RFP for a monograph vendor. They should have a new contract in place by next summer.
  • The University of Chicago now has available Borrow Direct at institutions with both the Committee for Institutional Cooperation (CIC) and the Ivy League.

Tasks Assigned

  • Kim will look for more links to add to Copyright and Publisher Permissions section of CARLI’s Scholarly Communications page. Nichole will check all the links on the page and report any dead links. Both will send the updates to the Jen and Elizabeth to update the page.
  • Kim, Todd, Chad, and Pam will meet before the next meeting to discuss the weeding forum. Harriet Lightman (Northwestern), Tom Teper and Mary Laskowski (UIUC) will be contacted for their input.
  • Lynn, Chad and Todd will meet before the next meeting to discuss the PDA forum.
  • Elizabeth will create a poll for availability for an in-person meeting in March. Preferred dates by committee members are Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Elizabeth will add notes from discussion regarding the white paper to the committee wiki. Other committee members will add their notes to this document.

Next Meetings

  • Conference calls scheduled for September 10, 2013 10:00-11:30 a.m.
  • In-person meeting scheduled for October 10 or the 15, 2013 10:00-3:00 p.m. depending on the availability of those not in attendance.