Created Content Committee meeting: January 3, 2014

CONFERENCE CALL

Members present: Margaret Heller (Loyola University Chicago), Mary Rose (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville), Anne Shelley (Illinois State University), Adam Strohm, Chair (Newberry Library), Julia Thompson (Western Illinois University)

Members absent: Howard Carter (Southern Illinois University Carbondale), Paul Go (Illinois Institute of Technology), Benn Joseph (Northwestern University)

CARLI staff present: Amy Maroso and Elizabeth Clarage (CARLI staff liaisons)

  1. Confirmed Margaret as minutes taker.
  2. November minutes approved with corrections.
  3. Adam informed the committee that he, Amy, and Elizabeth got an email from David Levinson, who is resigning from the committee to concentrate on other CARLI obligations, and that, due to the fact that his term is up this June, we won't be replacing him until the new committee year starts in July 2014.

Committee Projects

FEATURED IMAGE 

No change in status to this project.

GOOGLE ANALYTICS

No change in status on this project.

DIGITIZED BOOK OF THE MONTH

Amy tried out a test post in December using the guidelines she put together. Julia volunteered to handle the post for January, and Amy will send the instructions to the group. The post in January will act as a test of the guidelines, and we'll rotate volunteers from there.

listing of CARLI non-CONTENTdm DIGITAL COLLECTIONS

The committee had put this off until early 2014. Adam feels that it's ready to go. Amy will follow up with Jessica Gibson, in the CARLI Office, to make sure that we have the technical pieces in order. She will send out an announcement to the committee when it is ready to go out. 

ASSESSMENT FORUM AT IACRL (LATE MARCH, OAK BROOK)

Adam gave an update about this. We have submitted a title, and some combination of Adam, Margaret, and Paul will give the presentation. Next month will begin additional work on this project.

YEARBOOK AND NEWSPAPER DIGITIZATION

Amy discussed institutions who have already digitized student newspapers and yearbooks (or for some other reason do not need these collections digitized) may submit alternate proposals. The board would like to keep these in the vein of student culture, and did not accept alternate proposals that covered collections that were essentially institutional history or public relations. The Created Content Committee has been asked to create a list of collection topics that are student-centered and would be acceptable substitutes, as well as to vet future alternate proposals. (There is an exception for institutions without student populations; these would be vetted by the board).

A question was raised about whether this list is something that the committee would send out, or use for internal use only? Amy said that we would send it out as a suggestion if institutions asked.

Adam suggested that this list go on the wiki and all the committee contribute to it. Amy agreed to set up the space. (Note: the list is here: http://wiki.carli.illinois.edu/dcug/index.php/Created_Content_Committee#Yearbook_and_Newspaper_Digitiztion).

PODCASTS/White paper

Paul's proposal is on the wiki, along with suggestions made by Margaret and Mary (link: http://wiki.carli.illinois.edu/dcug/index.php/Podcasting/Webcasting_%28and_White_Paper%29). Adam suggested that the committee make some general decisions about some of the major questions during the call.

  • Video vs. audio:
    • Video is challenging for lot of people and institutions. Video could be an additional feature if possible or needed to illustrate something, but should not be required.
    • Amy said that if people want to use Adobe Connect through CARLI that is fine, and the ensuing videos can go on the CARLI YouTube Channel.
    • Amy will check on getting an iTunes U account through the University of Illinois.
  • Host rotation:
    • Adam suggested that it is unlikely that any one person would want to be the regular host, and that a rotation would be a worthwhile education opportunity for everyone on the committee.
    • The host could be solo, though Margaret suggested that having a conversation would be more interesting for listeners. In general it is fine to be creative about how to approach this.
  • Initial topic:
    • Suggestion was made that digital preservation would be a good first topic to sell or align with the digital preservation webinar series. An interview with Digital POWRR (link: http://digitalpowrr.niu.edu/) could be a good way to approach this.
    • Anne offered to get in touch with the people at NIU working on the Digital POWRR project to see if they would want to do an interview. Ideally this would happen later this month for release in February.

Amy suggested that we record all the discussions and decisions about the podcast on the wiki so that we don't have to scramble to finish the white paper at the end of the year.

New Items

Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)

Amy and Elizabeth gave an update on their meeting about CARLI's involvement in DPLA. This was a conference call that included Susan Singleton, Anne Craig (Illinois State Library) and Betsy Kruger (University of Illinois) to discuss the process for including Illinois material in the DPLA.  The DPLA wants to deal with one service hub per state. University of Illinois has been acting as a content hub, but providing University of Illinois materials only. The Illinois State Library and CARLI are planning how the service hub operation will work. This will potentially involve Illinois Harvest, a metadata harvester from the University of Illinois. CARLI also needs to have discussions with the Chicago Collections Consortium. Once the state of Illinois works out the service hub model, representatives from the state will talk again with representatives from DPLA. While Illinois State Library will probably be the main administrative coordinator, it will be a collaborative effort between multiple bodies.