The following is intended to remind SFX Administrators of their responsibilities after each SFX KnowledgeBase Update. In SFX version 4, KB updates will generally be applied each weekend. Please direct questions to email@example.com.
Text v. HTML
Libraries are free to use either format. Chapter 9 of the SFX General User's Guide explains in detail the differences between the reports. The HTML update can be filtered to display information only about updates applied to items that are active in your SFX instance. The text report includes information about new additions and updates made to all objects in the KB, both active and inactive.
Weekly Update Reports: A Quick Overview (7-minute video)
CARLI rebuilds all A-Z lists after each weekly update is applied. This process takes several hours, so a library may not see its most-newly-activated titles reflected on its A-Z list on the day immediately following an update. Once the post-update rebuild of all A-Z lists has run, nightly rebuilds resume, as needed, for any individual A-Z list where the KnowledgeBase has been updated manually during the day.
Deletion of old KBUpdate Reports
Beginning in January 2009, CARLI will systematically remove both text and HTML update reports that are more than three months old. The CARLI Office recommends that libraries check their weekly update reports promptly after they are announced on the sfx-ig email list, so that no important SFX information is lost.
By default, updates to the global KB will not affect localized data, such as a locally edited parse param.
There is a way for you to say, "Yes, I know I've edited this, but go ahead and overwrite my edits with whatever update comes along, that's OK." You can read about this "AutoUpdate" feature in chapter 11 of the SFX General User's Guide.
New Targets and Object Portfolios
- By default, any new object portfolios added to aggregator target services will be activated automatically if the target itself is active. New object portfolios added to non-aggregator target services will not be activated automatically, even if the target is active.
- To determine whether the KB considers a targer an aggregator target, see the "Aggregator" setting on the Edit Target window.
- To cause new object portfolios to be activated automatically for targets that are not flagged "Aggregator" but for which you can predict that your users will have access to every title offered, change the AutoActive setting in the Edit Target Service window from "Aggregator Settings" to "Yes."
- To prevent new object portfolios from being activated automatically for targets that are flagged "Aggregator" but for which your users will not necessarily have access to every title offered, change the AutoActive setting in the Edit Target Service window from "Aggregator Settings" to "No."
Google Scholar Extracts
Member libraries may request that CARLI automatically refresh their Google Scholar extract each week. (Google currently harvests extracts weekly, usually on Mondays). If you are interested in this service, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Chapter 11 of the SFX General User's Guide. All SFX manuals are updated regularly, so please make sure you have a current version. The link to the Ex Libris Documentation Center is on the main page of the SFX Admin Center, along with the username and password required to connect. In the Documentation Center, click on, “tree search,” under SFX in the left column. Next, click on the, “SFX 4 Documentation,” folder. Finally, click on the “User Guides” folder.
- Every week Ex Libris outlines the changes applied by the update in an easy-to-read PDF: see https://knowledge.exlibrisgroup.com/SFX/Release_Notes/Version_4.0 and click down to year and week in question.