This document outlines the steps you will need to take to connect your computer to a CARLI online webinar. CARLI webinars use only Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) for audio; please use your computer speakers or a headset for the audio portion.
Please read this document well in advance of your upcoming webinar and test your computer connection.
If you have any questions or problems, contact the CARLI Office.
Connecting to a CARLI Webinar
1. What equipment do I need?
Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro only requires that you have a computer with an Internet connection, a web browser, and Adobe Flash Player Version 8 or later to attend a web conference. Connect Pro supports nearly any operating system including Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and Solaris, as well as the most widely-used browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari.
In order to connect to a CARLI webinar using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) audio, all participants must have access to a computer with an Internet connection and a web browser, and an internal microphone and speakers or a headset with a microphone.
You may assemble a group of participants around a single computer or use a computer projector, as long as speakers and a microphone are available.
2. Is my computer ready?
If you have already participated in a webinar using Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro, your computer may already be set up, but please verify this by running the simple diagnostic tests available on the Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro web site. Please do this as far in advance of the session as possible. Do not wait until the time the webcast is scheduled to begin to run the diagnostic tests or you may miss the beginning of the session. Instructions for running the Diagnostic Tests are detailed below:
3. How do I run the Diagnostic Tests?
The Meeting Connection Diagnostic will test your computer for the supported version of the Flash player, a clear connection to Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro, bandwidth availability, and the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Connect add-in. This test can be performed at any time.
4. HOW DO I TEST MY COMPUTER TO MAKE SURE VOIP WORKS FOR ME?
First run the Meeting Connection Diagnostics Test from the Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro web site so that any technical issues may be addressed in advance.
To test and optimize your VoIP connection, run the Audio Setup Wizard well in advance of the next scheduled webinar. The Audio Setup Wizard is available only when you have logged into a webinar room, so CARLI has set up a test room:
Visit the Audio Test meeting room.
- To run the test, go to the “Meeting” tab in the top left hand side of the window and select “Audio Setup Wizard”.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to test speakers, microphone, and other settings.
- Close your browser to exit the meeting
A brief tutorial about the audio setup wizard is also available.
5. How do I connect to the webinar when I am ready to attend?
- A few minutes before the webinar is scheduled to start, point your browser to the meeting URL you have been provided by CARLI staff (usually in an email sent a day or two prior to the webinar).
- Select the radio button “Enter as a guest” and enter your first and last name or, if participating as a group, enter the name of your institution.
6. When should I log into the webinar?
Participants should log into the meeting up to 10 minutes before the designated start time.
7. What if my Internet connection to the meeting is broken?
If you have to leave the webinar, or if you get disconnected, you will typically be allowed to re-enter by simply pointing your browser to the URL provided. If you experience any trouble re-connecting the webinar, try closing and re-opening your browser. If you still cannot reconnect, call the CARLI Office at 1-866-904-5843 for assistance.
8. Is there any additional information for first time Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro users?
First time users may want to view the following resource available on the Adobe web site:
Participating in Your First Connect Pro Meeting
A few webinar etiquette tips:
CARLI webinars generally mute all attendees. Questions may be asked via the Adobe Acrobat Connect Pro chat feature in the webinar room. There is also a “raise your hand” function that can be used if you would like to have a presenter un-mute your microphone for you; wait to be recognized by the presenter before you begin speaking as it is difficult for the presenter and participants to follow to the conversation when multiple people are speaking at the same time.
If you have any problems running the wizard, please contact CARLI Support at email@example.com or toll free at 866-904-5843.