I-Share Instruction Team Meeting: February 20, 2012

Members attending: Chris Sweet, Ken Orenic, Kirstin Duffin, Elizabeth Nicholson, Marisa Walstrum, Merna Youngblood, Susan Avery

Members excused: None

IUG Liaison attending: Nancy Laverdiere

CARLI staff attending: Lorna Engels


  • Minutes from the January 2012 meeting were approved.

CARLI report - Lorna Engels

  • Purchase on demand pilot started last week. No data yet.
  • Discovery forum before IACRL has filled.
  • Hathi Trust records upload project still in progress.

IUG report - Nancy Laverdiere

  • I-Share Cataloging User Group is looking at a possible May forum.
  • I-Share Resource Sharing User Group: No major problems with new UB block policy. Working on a best practices document.  They are also looking at spring forum based on the topic of Resource Sharing 101
  • IUG informational webinar Apr. 5 (tentative) on the future of ILS.
  • CARLI members presenting a panel at ELUNA on the topic of “Consortium as a Cloud.”

Old business

Spring Forum

  • Date and location confirmed: Friday June, 8th Catholic Theological Union in Chicago.  Location info: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=5401+S+Cornell+ave+chicago&ll=41.799855,-87.588394&spn=0.008398,0.01929&hnear=5401+S+Cornell+Ave,+Chicago,+Illinois+60615&gl=us&t=m&z=16
  • Topics, speakers and number of breakout sessions
  • Dr. Chubbuck.  Can also do a breakout session.
  • Chris Sweet: Plagiarism and International Students breakout. Chris’s presentation may not be a full hour.
  • Other speakers? Susan Avery mentioned instruction sessions at UIUC that are modified for International Students.  Chris will look at an ILA program focused on international students and see if the presenters are willing to reprise for our event.  Susan will contact the Mortenson Center to see if any visiting librarians will be here or for someone to talk about the program in general. http://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/
  • Can we record the presentation to make available for everyone?
  • Forum schedule – keynote and breakout sessions
  • Getting a Save the Date announcement with basic information out sooner rather than later is a good idea. We can finalize the exact schedule at a later time.

New business

Revision to Team Charge

  • Chris raised the issue of revising the charge to our team.  Our current charge still pertains almost entirely to issues surround I-Share. Chris feels we have been doing the right things for an instruction team within a consortial environment, but that the charge just needs to be brought up to date to reflect the kinds of things we have actually been doing in recent years.  This may involve a restructuring where we are removed from the User Group category and put into the Working Group category. Lorna will check into the procedures involved. 
  • Everyone should review the charge and committee structure before next meeting: http://www.carli.illinois.edu/comms/iug/iug-instr.html

The meeting was adjourned at 10:48 a.m.

Next meeting:  March 20, 2012, 10:00am - 11:30am

Respectfully submitted,
Chris Sweet
Illinois Wesleyan University